Mesolithic Period & Neolithic Period (10.000 BC.-3.200BC.)

The historic data and findings prove that there has been human presence on the island since the Mesolithic period, around 8.000 years BC. The island’s first inhabitants were probably Phoenicians or  Kares, whereas the  Melian obsidian  found in the cave of  Frachthie in Peloponnesus (7.000-8.000BC.) as well as the palaces in  Crete (7.000BC.) prove that Milos had begun its  development already from the prehistoric period.

Thanks to  its strategic location between  the mainland  of  Greece and the  island  of  Crete, thanks  to its natural and safe port and mainly thanks to the mining of obsidian (black, hard, volcanic stone  that was used for the manufacture of  weapons and tools), Milos was the one of the first Aegean islands to have prospered and which started to create an important civilization.

During the Neolithic period in the areas of  Nychia and Demenegaki, there used to be installations for  the mining of obsidian out of which knives, blades, spear-heads  and  many  more  tools  and  arms  were made.  The  obsidian  tools  discovered  during  the  archaeological  researches  in  various  Greek  places (Thessaly, Peloponnesus, Crete  and elsewhere), even  in  Egypt, are  adequate  proofs  of  the  early  commercial  navigation  developed  by  the  Melians.

Bronze  Age (3200BC.-1100BC.)

The  scattered  huts  where  the Melians  used to live during the Neolithic  age  were  abandoned and  the most rural communities  were  united  in one big settlement, called Fylakopi. Fylakopi, apart  from  being  an  important center of  the Cycladic civilization, it is  considered  to be  as  one  of  the  first  European  cities  of  a  history  over  1500  years.

The  settlement’s  habitation  had  already  started  since  3000BC, but  it  was  abandoned  in  1100BC  after the passing  of   three  historic  periods. The  building  of  houses  started  in  the  pre-residential  age (3200BC-2300BC). In  the  1st historic period  (2300-2000BC), the  settlement  is  of   around  200 meters (quite  big  according  to  the  data   of  that  period  in  the  Aegean  sea), it  does  not  have  any  organized  laid-out  disposition, but  it  presents  a  relatively  organized  cemetery. At  the  same  time, during  that   period  the  use  of  stone  is  discovered  and  the  obsidian  exports  are  multiplied  leading  to the  Melians’ complete  commercial  flourishing. In  the  2nd period (2000-1600BC.)  walls  were  built  for  the  protection  of  any  possible  raids, the  tombs  were  already  located  outside  the  walls, whereas  the  houses  were  in  a  terraced  disposition  on  the  hill. In  that  period  the  ceramic  art  was  particularly  developed  with  already  clear  Minoan  influences  and  the  trade  relations  of  the  Melians  were  further  developed  in  various  parts  of  Greece  and  mostly  in Crete. This  period  ends  with  the  destruction  of  Fylakopi, possibly  by  fire  set  by  invaders, whereas  the  city’s  3rdhistoric   period (1600-1110BC.)   begins with  the  building  of  the  third  settlement. During  this  last  period  Fylakopi  presents  an  organized, complex, town planning  design, a  fortification  with  high  cyclopean  walls  exceeding  the  6 meters in depth  and  bigger  houses, some  of  which  were  two-storeyed. In  the  beginning  of  this  period  the  influence  of  the  Minoan  civilization  was  intense (parts  of  a  table  with  the  Minoan  Linear  A were  discovered), but  slowly  the  Mycenaean  element  penetrates  and  finally  it  prevails. Around  1400BC   a palace  according  to  the  Mycenaean style  was  built with  a lot  of  rooms  and  a  two-room  sanctuary. In  addition, great  works  of  sculpture  and  ceramic   art  are  produced, the  most  significant  example  of  which  is  the “Kyra  of  Fylakopi”. (It  is  exhibited  in  the  Archaeological  Museum). Since  1200BC  reorganizations  take  place  in  the  Aegean  area,  known  trading  roads  are  abandoned, whereas  the  Minoan  and the  Mycenaean  cultures  have  already  faded. In  that  period  the  city  of  Fylakopi  was  no  longer  a  commercial  center  and  started  to  fall  into  decay  until  it  got  completely  abandoned  in  1100BC.

Archaic  Age (1100BC- 480BC)

After  the  abandonment  of  Fylakopi, Dorian  settlers  came   to  the  island  as  colonists  from  Lakonia  and  together  with  the  preceding  inhabitants  they  built  a  new  city  more  west  in  today’s  region  of  Klima. (This  region  was  located  between  the  hills  of  Prophitis  Ilias, of   Pyrgianti  and  Klimatovouni, whereas  it  stretched  out  from  the  sea  to  Trypiti  village  and  on  the  outskirts  of  Plaka). This  new  city  allowed  the  Melians to  oversee  the  island’s  gulf  for  any  possible  pirates’  raids, the city  had  a  port  and  it  was  naturally  fortified  by  the  presence  of  the  three  hills. Simultaneously, the  inhabitants  fortified  it  also  with  walls  all  the  way  to  the  sea and  they  constructed  big  public  buildings, the  ancient  theatrean  aqueduct, a gymnasium, a market-place, sanctuaries  and  a  cemetery.

In  this  period  the  city  of  Klima  presents  intense  financial  and  cultural  development. The  ceramic  art  flourishes  with  the  famous  “Melian urns”  decorated  with  elements  from  the  Greek  mythology, the  sculpture, the  miniature art, the seal engraving  on  stones, the  goldsmithery  with  the  filigree technique, whereas  we  have  the  mint  of  coins  originally  carrying  the  apple  symbol. In  addition, during  that  times, there  is  an  increase  in  the  trading  activities, the  exploitation  of  ores, whereas  the  local-Melian  alphabet  is  also  developed, samples  of  which  are  preserved  till  the present  day  in  tombstones.

Classical  Age (480BC-323BC)

In  the  Persians  Wars,  the  Melians fought  together  with  the  rest  of  the  Greeks  against  the  Persians. They participated  in  the  Naval  Battle  of  Salamis (480BC.)  and  in  the  battle  of  Plataea  (479BC.)  by sending  a team  of  hoplites  to  fight  together  with  the  Spartans.

In  the Peloponnesian  War, however, they  tried  to  remain  neutral. When  asked  by  the  Athenians, the  Melians  refused  to   participate  in  the  Athenian- Delian alliance   and  thus  they  were  lead  to  a  siege  that  lasted  many  months  and  ended  up  with  a total  destruction. In  426BC  the  Athenians  sent  the  general  Nicias  with  60 triremes  and  2000 hoplites  so  as  to  force  Milos  to  access  to  the  Alliance. In  spite  of  the   destructions, the  island  was  not  conquered  this  time. However, 10  years later, with  Alcibiades’ urge  a  new  Athenian  expedition  was  decided/set  out  with  Cleomedes and  Tisias  as  commanders. After  vain  negotiations, 3000 men  besieged  Milos  for  nearly two  years. They destroyed  the  city, they  killed  most  of  the  men  and  they  sold  the  women  and  children as  slaves, and  in  the  end  they  sent  also  500 cleruchs (klirouxous)  in  order  to  secure  their  rule  over  the  island.

This  expedition  is  described  and  narrated  in  length  in  the  best  possible  way  in  the  works  of  Thucydides (book  E’) in  the  famous  dialogue  of  between  the Athenians and  the  Melians , where  the  love  for  freedom  and  neutrality  yields  to  the  might  is  right. (Moreover, Euripides  in  his  play  “Trojan  Women”  blames  the  Athenians  for  the  destruction  of  Milos  and  for  their  expansionist  policy,  in  general).

In  403BC  with  the  end  of  the  Peloponnesian  War  and  the  victory  of  the  Spartans, by  Lycander’s  initiative  those  Melians who  survived  the  massacres  returned  to  the  island  and  slowly  started  to  rebuilt  the  ruined  city.

Hellenistic  Age (323BC.-146BC.)

After  the  year  311BC, Milos, just  like  all  the  Cycladic  islands,  goes  under  the  sway  of  the  Macedonians  and  then  of  the  Antigonid  Dynasty   and  the  Ptolemaic  Dynasty  of  Egypt.

The  peaceful  status  that  reigned  during  those  times, combined  with  the  liberty  and  safety  at  sea, contributed  to  the  beginning  of  a new  era  of  flourishing  and  prosperity  during  which  Milos  mint  coins  and  created  great  works  of  art, such  as  the  statue  of  Poseidon ( a statue  of  2,17m.  made of  Parian  marble)  representing  the  god  Poseidon  in  a  imposing  look  and  with  his  right  arm  raised  as  if  holding  a  trident. The  statue  was  discovered  in  1877  and  it  is  kept  in  the  Archaeological  Museum  of  Athens). Moreover, in  the Hellenistic  Age, the  island’s  most  famous  statue  was  made:  the famous  Aphrodite  of  Milo.

Roman   Age (146BC.-324)

During   the  Roman  occupation, the  island’s  development  carries  on  thanks  to  the  preservation  of  peace  and  to  the  further  exploitation  and   trading  of  the  mineral  wealth. The  arts  flourished, remarkable  statues  were  made (e.g.  the  statue  of  Marcus  Trophimos)  and  iconographic  heads, whereas  in  that  period  the  Ancient-Roman  theatre  was  constructed  on  the  island.

The  region  of  “Tramythia”  became  the  city  center. There,  in  1896  a  unique  mosaic  of  vines, fish  and  wild  animals  was  discovered  which  was  the  floor  of  Dionysus’s  sanctuary.

During  that  entire  period  Christianism  began  to  spread  on  the  island. In  the  Acts  of  the  Apostles  there  is  mention  to  the  Apostle  Paul’s  trip  from  Crete  to  Athens  and  to  the  shipwreck  on  rugged  coasts. Some  researchers  claim  that  Christianity  in  Milos  was  taught  by  the  Apostle  Paul  himself, whereas  others  support  that  it  took place  through  the  Jews  who  used  to  live  in  Milos  in  those  years  and  who  were  trading  minerals. Whatever  is  true, Christianity  spread  in  Milos  very  rapidly  from  already  the  1st century, whereas  the  believers carved  the  rocks  and  created  the  pre-Christian  Catacombs  for  their sacraments  to take place  and for  the  burial  of  their  deceased ones.

Byzantine  Age (324-1204)

After  the  split  of  the Roman empire  into  west  empire  and  east  empire, Milos  passes  under  the  rule  of  Byzantium, whereas  in  842  it  is  included  in  the  17th theme  of  the  Byzantine empire, in “the Theme of  the Aegean” with  Rhodes  as  capital. The  data  for  this  long  period  is  scarce, since  the  Empire  was  vast  and  the  piracy  was  extremely  extensive.

The  important  facts  of  the  period  take  place  in  the  5th-6th century, when  Klima- that  used to be  the capital  back  then-  was  deserted  due  to  raids  and  earthquakes  and  in  the  8th-9th century  in  the  age  of  the  Iconoclasm when  the  Melians  along  with  the  rest  of  the  islanders  revolted  for  religious  reasons  against  the  central  authority  of  Constantinople, but the  revolution  was  crushed.

Venetian  Domination & Turkish  Domination (1204-1820)

After  the  fall  of  Constantinople  by  the  Franks , Milos  along  with  most  of  the  Aegean  islands  gets  conquered  by  Marcus  Sanoudos, who  founded  the  Archipelagos  duchy, with  Naxos  as  its  capital  and  on  the  inhabitants  of   Milos  the  financial  and  social  system  of  feudalism  is  imposed. The  discontent  and  the  overwhelming  of  the  local  farmers  leads  to  a  revolution  in  1268. The  Melians  seize  the  Castle  hoping  for  the  aid  of  the  byzantine  fleet, which  however  never  arrived  and  thus  the  revolt  was  put down.

The   Sanoudian Dynasty  lasted  till  1361. Afterwards, they  were  succeeded  by  the   Krispi  Dynasty  until  1566. During  their  dynasty  the  Castle  was abandoned  and  the  capital  was  moved  to  the  interior  of  Milos, to  the  region  of  Zefyria. In  that  period, Milos  began  to  turn  into  a  pirates’ hide-out. The  empire  of  the  East  Mediterranean (Venice)  was  unable  to  control  the  pirate  raids  and  in  1537    Milos  is  occupied  by  the  notorious  pirate  Khayr-Din Barbarossa, on  behalf  of  the  Turks.

At  the  start  of  the  Turkish  occupation (1566-1579), Milos  is  ruled  by  Joseph  Nazis  who  was  also  the  last  duke  of  the  islands. Afterwards, all  the  Cycladic islands, including  Milos  are under  the  command  of  the  Sultan  Murat  the 3rd . In  the  years  of  the  Turkish  occupation, Milos  was  relatively  favored, as  the  Turks  did  not  inhabit  the  island  permanently; they  just  collected  their  taxes  through  the  Delegates (local  commissars  who  were  elected  by  the  people  every  Sunday of  the  Orthodoxy  and  who had  administrative  and  religious  duties). Thus, the  inhabitants  of  Milos  were  able  to  preserve  a  relative  freedom  and  to  cultivate  their  relationship  with  the  sea. During  this  period, the  corsairs  retreated  and  the  Saracen pirates (Muslims)  began  their  sacks  and  raids.

The  Turkish  rule  was  stopped   in  1770  when  the  Russians  appeared  in  the  Aegean  area, but  some  years  later  it  was  restored  once  again. An  important  event  of  this  period  is  the  decline  of  Zefyria  from  being the   island’s capital,  and  the  city’s  complete  abandonment  in  1767.

Modern Hellenistic  Age (1821-1945).

Milos  was  the  third  island  in  Greece  to  revolt  against  the  Turks. On  April  11, 1821  the  first  naval  battle  of  the  revolution  took  place  in  Adamantas  port. The Melians, who  did not  have  their  own  fleet, helped  the  squadron  of  the  ships from  Spetses  to  destroy  the  Turkish  ships.

The  Melians’  participation  in  the  naval  battle  of  Navarino  was  also  important, when  the  death  of  Petros  Mikelis  from  Milos  gave  rise to  the  prevalence  of  hostilities. Petros  Mikelis, by  order  of  the  English  admiral  Codrington  met  the  Egyptian  admiral  Moharem  Bey  so  as to  tell  him  to  withdraw  his  fleet  and  to  remain  neutral. However, on  his  way  back, Petros  Mikelis  was  shot  by  a  sailor  of  the   fleet  and  his  death  gave  rise  to  the  start  of  the  naval  battle  of  Navarino  which  ended  with  the  destruction  of  the Turkish- Egyptian fleet.

 In  1830  Milos  is  officially included  in  the  Greek  state  and  it starts  to  prosper  based  on  the  exploitation  of   its  mineral  wealth.

 In  the   Balkan  Wars  many  Melians  were  killed. In  their  honor  the  War  Memorial  in  Plaka (for  97 deceased)  as  well as  the  War  Memorial  in  the  central  square  of  Adamantas  were  built.

 In  the  First  World  War  Milos  sheltered  the English-French  fleet  and  Adamantas  was  used  as  a  naval  base  for  the  control  of  the  East  Mediterranean  Sea  against  the  attacks  of  the  German  submarines.

 In  the  Second  World  War, the  island  was  occupied  by  the  Germans  on  May 6th, 1941  and  it  was  liberated  4  years  later, being  almost  the  last  one, on  May 9th 1944. During  the  German  occupation, the  Germans  put  strong  anti-aircraft systems  and  radars  and  guns, whereas  they  opened  tunnels  in  Adamantas  for  the  safe-keeping  of  foods  and  ammunition. The  inhabitants  resisted  bravely  all  those  years, many  of  them  died  of  hunger  and  in  wartime, whereas  many  more  catastrophes  and  bombardments  took  place.